This a great recipe to make a super tasty taco/burrito filling that is not just beans! Tomato sauce is a key ingredient in this dish – a great source of anti-inflammatory antioxidants including lycopene. Lycopene ability to protect cells from oxidative stress makes it valuable in maintaining the health of tissues and organs and this…
Authentic Spanish Summertime Gazpacho Recipe
by Lucia Stansbie
Gazpacho is a versatile soup, perfect for the summer heat! Made with fresh vegetables and olive oil is an antioxidant and electrolyte powerhouse!
Tomatoes are one of the richest sources of lycopene, a powerful antioxidant which can protect the skin from UV damage; Peppers are rich in vitamin C and olive oil is a great source of many antioxidants and good fats.
6 ripe tomatoes
1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 small red onion
2 cloves of garlic
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red sherry vinegar
1 teaspoon salt (adjust to taste)
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (adjust to taste)
1. Prepare the vegetables: Roughly chop the tomatoes, cucumber, red and green bell peppers, red onion, and garlic.
2. Blend the vegetables: Place all the chopped vegetables into a blender or food processor. If your blender is not large enough to hold all the ingredients at once, you can blend them in batches. Pulse or blend until the vegetables are well pureed.
3. Season the gazpacho: Add the olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and black pepper to the blender. Blend again until all the ingredients are well combined and the soup has a smooth consistency. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
4. Chill the gazpacho: Transfer the gazpacho to a large bowl or container. Cover it and refrigerate for at least 2 hours to allow the flavors to meld and the soup to become chilled.
5. Serve: Once chilled, stir the gazpacho well. Ladle it into individual bowls or glasses and garnish with diced cucumber, fresh herbs, shaved almonds if desired.