This a great recipe to make a super tasty taco/burrito filling that is not just beans! Tomato sauce is a key ingredient in this dish – a great source of anti-inflammatory antioxidants including lycopene. Lycopene ability to protect cells from oxidative stress makes it valuable in maintaining the health of tissues and organs and this…
Easy Vegan Banana Bread Recipe
by Lucia Stansbie
The hero cake that most of us baked when kids or during lockdown! It is easy and quick and while as a nutritionist I won’t suggest to make it daily treat, I would say go for it for a special celebration or once in a while treat 🙂
4 ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup plant-based milk (such as almond, oat or coconut milk)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar (you can use coconut sugar if you prefer)
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
Optional add-ins: chopped nuts (pecans are great!) or vegan chocolate chips
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan or line it with parchment paper for easy removal.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas, coconut oil, plant-based milk, and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
3. Add the granulated sugar and brown sugar to the banana mixture. Stir until the sugars are fully incorporated.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, ground cinnamon, and salt.
5. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Be careful not to overmix.
6. If you’re using any optional add-ins like chopped nuts or vegan chocolate chips fold them into the batter.
7. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan and spread it evenly. I love to sprinkle some brown sugar on the top to make it extra crunchy.
8. Bake the banana bread in the preheated oven for about 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
9. Once the banana bread is done, remove it from the oven and let it cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Then transfer it to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.