This is one of the best dessert recipes ever – it tastes delicious and is packed with antioxidants and healthy fats! Is also very easy and quick to make. Avocado is a great source of healthy fats and vitamin E, whilst cocoa powder is rich in antioxidants and polyphenols that will keep their properties as…
Turmeric Sweet and Sour chicken
by Lucia Stansbie
Who doesn’t love a Saturday Chinese take-away?!? I love a cheeky take-away, but I don’t like MSG, greasy pieces of meat and a very salt heavy meal. This sweet and sour chicken is sticky and incredibly tasty, and because one of the main ingredients is turmeric is also protective for your cardiovascular system, anti-inflammatory and good for your brain. Black pepper and coconut oil increase the absorption of the curcumin in the turmeric, so you can make the most of its goodies!
I have added broccoli (or any kind of brassica) for fiber, vitamins( C and K), phytonutrients, antioxidants that will also help reduce inflammation and protect the cardio vascular system.
At the very end I add sesame seeds, one of the best way to add iron, vitamin B, magnesium and lignans a kind of phytonutrients that might have anticancer, anti-bacterical, antioxidant and estrogenic properties.
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
3 tbsp of raw honey
1 tbsp of black pepper
Salt to taste
2 tbsp of flour (any kind)
2 tbsp of turmeric
250gr of diced chicken
1 tbsp of coconut oil
1 crushed garlic clove
1 ½ broccoli but into pieces
2 tbsp of rice vinegar
A good sprinkle of sesame seeds
- In a cup mix ¼ of lukewarm water, 3 tbsp of raw honey and 1 tbsp of black pepper.
- Dice the chicken in 1cm cubes and mix in a bowl the flour, turmeric and a little bit of salt. Toss the meat in and cover evenly.
- Warm in a wok the coconut oil and a crushed garlic clove on low heat. Once the oil is melted and infused with the garlic, add the chicken and turn to medium heat.
- Cook the chicken 3 minutes per side, add the broccoli and the honey/pepper mix on low heat.
- Cover and let it cook for 10 minutes, making sure the chicken is not burning or sticking to the pan. If this is happening, add a little lukewarm water.
- Check if the chicken is fully cooked and broccoli are cooked but still crunchy, stir in 2 tbsp of rice vinegar and a good sprinkle of sesame seeds.
Serve with steamed rice or extra steamed vegetables and enjoy!